AGA Professional Results 2013
AGA Professional Results 2013
The tournament was held at Hotel Normandie, January 2-8, 2014.
Players are selected based on performance in one of multiple Preliminaries. They then go on to compete with each other in the Pro Qualification Tournament. The winners of the Pro Qualification Tournament become AGA-Certified Go Professionals.
On This Page
Preliminaries and their winners, confirmed as finalists:
(2) Seeded from 2012 Pro Qualification Tournament: Jianing Gan and Eric Lui
(1) Seeded from Canadian Open (6/28-7/1): Daniel Gourdeau
(2) Seeded from US Go Congress Open Division (August): Bill Lin and Calvin Sun
(1) Gotham Open (10/12): Ben Lockhart
(1) Cotsen Open (10/26-27): Andrew Lu
(1) Online Prelim Tournament (November): Ryan Li
Pro Qualification Tournament
The tournament director shall be the arbiter for this event and whose decision is final. Questions about rules and disputes shall be brought to the tournament director's attention immediately.
All players and alternates must meet the following requirements:
1. Each must be citizens of either the United States or Canada. A copy of proof of
citizenship (birth certificate, front page of government-issued passport, naturalization
documentation or similar) must be presented prior to participation in the Pro Qualification Tournament. These
will be kept on file with the AGA Pro System Committee.
2. Each must have participated in certified qualifying rounds or been invited and passed the requirements for invitation.
There will be two rounds per day. There will be a maximum of ten rounds of play during the finals.
The following outlines the AGA Professional Rules to be used. the Full Rules, when published, supersede this outline:
1. All games will be played by the Complete AGA rules, except as noted below, which take precedence over the Complete AGA rules.
2. All games will be played even (no handicap).
3. Time control: 1:30 main time with 5 periods of 40 seconds overtime. The clocks are not stopped except when needed for meal breaks. The player whose move it is will seal their move with the TD until play resumes. The board will be covered during breaks and neither player may view the board or game record during this time.
4. Japanese style counting will be used for ALL games. The only exception will be in the event of dispute over prisoners when the TD may call for Chinese counting.
5. Players are presumed to understand the use of the “pass stone” in AGA Tournament games and play accordingly. Players are to fill in all dame as appropriate with this rule.
6. Illegal moves: Any illegal move, such as retaking a ko out of turn or playing two moves in a row will result in an immediate FORFEIT.
7. Players choosing to resign should make their decision clear and unambiguous. After resigning, please ensure that the opponent has clearly understood the intention.
Resignation may be indicated by either:
a) placing 2 stones simultaneously on the board, or
b) saying clearly, “I resign”
The finals will be run as a 8-player Modified Double Elimination tournament.
Seeding: Players will be seeded into the tournament by their AGA or equivalent rankings. Players will be listed in order from 1 (highest rank) to 8 (lowest rank) with best estimates made for unranked or non-AGA rankings. Seeds from prior years must be interspersed per their ranks and are NOT automatically placed at the top of the list. Every attempt will be made to create a fair and accurate dispersal of players into the initial order. This list will be published prior to the event and any disputes must be made prior to the first round of play.
Pairings: Players are promoted based on the results of MATCHES with opponents. A match may consist of either a single game or a Best-of-Three (Bo3), or possibly Best of Five in final only, competition, as given in the full rules.
Standings: The results of the finals will result in one player being promoted to the rank of Professional 1 Dan and two players selected as seeds into next year's finals.
Tournament Director: Jeff Shaevel
Game schedule (Friday 3rd January - Friday 10th January; Pacific time):
*Fri 9:30am 1A-D
*Fri 4:30pm 2A-D
*Sat 9:30am 3A-B, 4A (game 1)
*Sat 4:00pm 4A (game 2), 4B (game 1)
*Sun 9:30am 4A (game 3, if needed), 4B (game 2, if needed)
*Sun 4:00pm 5A (game 1)
*Mon 9:30am 5A (game 2, if needed)
*Mon 4:00pm 6A (game 1)
*Tue 9:30am 6A (game 2, if needed)
*Tue 4:00pm 6A (game 3, if needed)
|Seed||Player|| 1 A-D
| 2 A-D
| 3 A-B
| 4 A/4 B
sg/best of 3
A1 Sat am
A2/B1 Sat pm
A3*/B2* Sun am
| 5 A
/sg/best of 3
1 Sun pm
2* Mon am
best 3 or 5
1 Mon pm
2* Tue am
3* Tue pm
|Gan - ( W+r )
Sun - ( W+r )
Sun - ( W+1.5 )
Sun wins 2-1
|Sun - ( 2B )
Lin - ( B+r )
Sun - ( B+1.5 )
Sun wins 2-1
|Gan||Lin ( B+7.5 )|
|Lin ( B+r )|
- if needed (see complete rules for exact details)