

**AGA Board Meeting Minutes**  
**5/20/2018**

**Present:**

Martin Lebl (chair)  
Steve Colburn  
Chris Kirschner  
Andrew Jackson  
Gurujeet Khalsa  
Andy Okun (president)  
Lisa Scott  
Samantha Fede (secretary)  
Edward Zhang

Call to order 8:03 PM EDT

**1. Report from second group of volunteers**

No volunteers in attendance (they did not confirm prior to meeting)

**2. Approve minutes**

Chris moves to approve April 2018 minutes, Lisa seconds, unanimous, minutes approved.

**3. President's report**

Andy Okun: Just got back from trip to China and from Tokyo for the kick off of the World Amateur Go tournament, and IGF meeting. I think Thomas Hsiang should be invited as the next "volunteer" for June to give us an update. Met with the head of the Tibetan Go Organization who has many contacts in the Chinese go community. Tibet also has its own variation of go, and he teaches both in schools. There aren't that many "go-as-we-know-it" players in Tibet. I also met with officials of the Huangzho Go academy, which may be the best funded go community in the world. Chris has been there, they said to say hello. They have an academic meeting on go each year. If anyone wants to write an academic paper on go, you can probably do that. They teach a lot of kids and produce a lot of pros. I am hoping we can get some training help or playing opportunities for our pros or talented youth there.

I owe you guys a budget, but it isn't finished yet.

**4. Draft of the Code of Conduct and AGA Tournament regulations for discussion and approval (Chris)**

Every on the board has received a copy of the code of conduct. On the first draft we got a lot of feedback, but the second draft we got none, so we're ready to go. Lisa and Karoline have been working with the Congress organizers to implement it at US Go Congress.

[Edward Zhang joins]

Lisa: Yes, we're working on it and we're in good shape to implement it.

Martin: Is there a modified tournament regulation that goes with the CoC?

Lisa: Since there won't be a hard copy Go Congress Handbook, we're trying to keep it consistent in tone, but I'm not sure exactly where it will go in the book.

Gurujeeet: The "no hard copy" isn't final because I think some people like to have them. We're planning to have a printable option at least.

Steve: You might want to talk to Mark Rubenstein about that because he's talked about the handbook being important in the past.

Lisa: Particularly for foreign visitors, who might not have cell service

[Gurujeeet and Lisa agree to discuss congress handbook offline]

Lisa: We're at the point where we need official approval on the CoC from the board.

Steve: Can we have some more time to read over it to decide to approve?

Edward: Can you send it to us?

Lisa: Yes, it was sent to the board about 5 days ago. We're moving to form the committee on the code of conduct and to approve the president to make small changes as needed

Chris: We move that the code of Conduct be approved, and that the committee be formed per the recommendations of the President.

Lisa: My concern with not doing this now is that we'll have to wait another month. If you read it a month ago, it hasn't changed much.

Chris: We could tentatively approve pending concerns that will be addressed over email. The changes aren't substantive from last version, mostly proofreading type.

Steve: I'm fine with it, we can vote. [Edward agrees]

Lisa seconds the motion [that Chris put forward]. Unanimous approval. The motion carries.

## **5. Authorize the president to present updated by-laws to membership for approval (Chris)**

Chris: I have sent the old and updated by-laws to you. In the first round, we had significant changes requested from the public suggestions, but no feedback from the more recent round.

Gurujeet: To confirm, language about adding more board positions has been removed from the by-laws update?

Chris: Yes, there wasn't interest from our board or the public.

Gurujeet: What is the timing of approving these bylaws?

Chris: Our original plan was to approve it to go up for vote at the Go Congress from the membership. And we probably can do that.

Lisa: I think we should present it to the membership in the Assembly meeting for discussion and voting soon after congress.

Chris: I have one problem with that. I think people will have more changes they suggest, even though they've already had the chance to suggest changes as necessary. And I thought we wanted the approval done more efficiently.

Gurujeet: I think we're putting it out there now, and it's moving fast enough.

Steve: I think it's okay to put it out again. Does the full membership or chapters have to approve

Lisa: I motion to put approval of the new bylaws on the ballot for approval from the full membership.

Chris seconds, unanimous approval, motion carries.

## **6. Discuss/approve prize subsidy for US Open/NAMT for marketing/prestige reasons from AGA budget as we have in past few years**

Gurujeet: I brought this up because we want publicity for the Masters and want to announce the prizes. Past year was \$12,000 in prizes. But the difference is that in the past we divided that between the US Open Masters and the NAMT. But we didn't have NAMT qualifiers this year. We don't need to announce the specific numbers now, just the general amount approved.

Martin: So this is from AGA funds?

Lisa: Yes, the rest of the prizes are from the US Congress budget, but the top prizes are from the AGA. In past years, there's been some variations, particularly after Ing stopped covering the bigger prizes.

Andy: It also increased in 2014 when the prizes increased substantially.

Gurujeet: Do we want to approve the same amount as last year, and do we want to use the NAMT budget for the top 3 north americans?

Chris: I'm fine with it but is there already some information in the budget...? [breaks up some]

Gurujeet: Well it doesn't specify the exact amounts.

Chris: Which is why I think there needs to be a continuing resolution, since the budget hasn't been approved at all.

Gurujeet: Let's just get something out there that can be incorporated into the budget later. I motion that we add \$12000 in the budget for Masters prizes at the US Go Congress, and note that we intend for this to carry on to future years. Lisa seconds. Unanimous approval.

Gurujeet: Also, a constituent brought up that it isn't fair to use tie breakers to split monetary prizes.

Lisa: I don't think this is a board issue.

Chris: If there's an existing policy, it is a board issue to discuss.

Andy: It's a reasonable thing to discuss.

Steve: What is the exact regulation?

Lisa: It's in the tournament regulations, and it says the rule is absolute.

[all agree to discuss in the future]

## **7. Discuss which volunteers we would like to invite for June and July/congress meeting\***

Karoline Li- June

Martin: For the congress board meeting, we should invite people who will be there.

Chris: It doesn't have to be the person in charge of whatever division of volunteers, it would be fine to be a subordinate volunteer who would be informed and could give a report.

## **8. New business**

Gurujeet: Note that the big Japanese group is coming in before Go Congress to DC to sight-see, and we'll probably do an event at the National Go Center, if anyone wants to join.

Andrew: I also think we need a formal resolution to address cheating. For example we need guidelines on what we should do if someone accuses their opponent of cheating, etc.

Chris: We all agree on the need for that, and we've discussed it before.

Andrew: I think we need a more formal resolution to put forward at the General Assembly

Gurujeet: We should have a call with Josh Lee about this, who will be the TD for the masters.

Andrew: Martin, as the chair, can you take lead on organizing, articulating and executing the process we'll go through to determine our new policy?

Chris: Jeff is the obvious choice

Andrew: Certainly we should ask for his expertise & his opinions, but we will need others: also need statisticians, etc. We need more information, maybe ask what the people on the chess side of the world do, research other sports. We shouldn't get in the weeds on it right now, but we need leadership to say what the process we'll follow will be to arrive at our policy.

Lisa: I agree and I think Martin is a good choice.

Andrew: It doesn't have to be Martin, just floating him as the choice to define the process.

Martin: I can do it.

Chris: This seems more like an administrative thing, not a board issue.

Steve: If you need help connecting to the Pandanet people who were involved with the recent issue, please let me know.

Andy: Martin, let's discuss this in the next couple of days.

Gurujeet: Makes sense to add in time for discussion at congress

Steve: Andy and Chris, can you stick around on the call after we adjourn for a few minutes?

Lisa moves to adjourn, AJ seconds, unanimous. Adjourn at 8:56 PM EDT.