

AGA Board Meeting Minutes 4/15/2018

In Attendance:

Martin Lebl (Chair)
Samantha Fede (Secretary)
Steve Colburn
Edward Zhang
Gurujeet Khalsa
Lisa Scott
Andy Okun (President)
Chris Kirschner

Jonathan Bresler (guest, VP of Ratings)

Absent:

Andrew Jackson

Meeting called to order at 8:07 EDT

1. Report from first group of volunteers:

Jonathan Bresler joins us to report on concerns he might have regarding his role: purchasing of membership passes for tournament play (i.e., 1 day pass etc). There's no way to know in terms of the membership database whether that was on the tournament rating day or not. So, it's difficult to rate tournament games properly after the fact. If this were fixed, tournaments would be rated faster.

Martin: Why don't we have that in place?

Jonathan: We just procedurally don't do it that way.

Gurujeet: There's a lot of back and forth that happens to get the 1 day ratings in.

Martin: I think that makes sense to update the expiration dates to be that tournament day so we can tell after the fact.

Andy: Is there anything technical that would make that difficult?

Steve: I don't know, I'll have to look into the code.

Andy: It doesn't seem like a change in policy that would require board action, so I can just decide to do that unless anyone has an objection.

[general approval]

Andy: Okay, I'll instruct Steve to do it.

Jonathan: Another issue is that TDs are unable to verify if players have valid memberships prior to playing. These players then have to be removed prior to rating. I'm not sure why TDs don't verify membership (tools, education) because I don't have this problem.

Lisa: Why are they having this trouble?

Gurujeet: At one of our recent tournaments, there was an issue with someone with a very old membership that had a strange status. It's more the 1 day membership or pending memberships that cause us trouble with verifications.

Martin: This might be due to TDs using a computer not connected to the internet, so it's not updating if people update their membership last minute.

Gurujeet: I don't think that's the issue. We're connected but sometimes we have that issue.

Andy: Well, I think the issue is also that if one player doesn't have the membership, the game could become "not rated", but we think the opponents expect the games to be rated, so we should prioritize those people getting what they expect. Maybe we can just charge the TDs \$10/person to institute membership post hoc. Or, maybe we can hide these people's ratings from the TDs so they can't include them without current membership?

Jonathan: Maybe we can flag these people as being in arrears. Or we can inform the opponent their game won't be ranked.

Steve: I think that would be difficult.

Jonathan: Maybe players can ask their opponents if their membership is up to date? Or put something out in the EJ informing players to do that?

Lisa: I think that will cause issues for pairings or delay tournament. Maybe we could just say ensuring membership is best practice and inform the TDs they might be penalized if they don't.

Steve: I think some people are still used to the old paper system for updating their membership. So, we can help people to transition by putting an announcement in the EJ and remind people to keep their membership up to date.

[cross talk regarding burden to TD vs. players who aren't current members vs. members]

Gurujeet: Our TD practice is to encourage preregistration, so about 90% preregister, and that makes it a lot smoother in regards to memberships etc.

Andy: Maybe the ex post facto fee should be \$20 instead of \$10 if it's assessed after the fact to encourage compliance.

Gurujeet: This shouldn't happen except maybe for miscommunication. I don't think negative consequences are a bad idea.

Lisa: Isn't 1 day membership a chapter issue not an individual issue? Individuals can't do it themselves anyway.

Jonathan: I don't think the membership understands that, and it adds additional burden to the TD that they can't.

Andy: Can I suggest we add this issue to the assembly meeting at US Go Congress? But I'd also suggest we require membership for tournaments, and not have 1 day options.

Gurujeet: I strongly disagree

Andy: Are you confusing this 1 day membership with the promotional membership, Lisa?

Steve: I'm the subject matter expert on this. People can choose this online themselves and it will update in about 10 minutes, so would be visible at the tournament. [Jonathan confirms this]

Andy: I think the issue is people forget and then say they'll do it at home after the tournament.

Gurujeet: That's not okay. Usually we have a membership station set up so players can be helped with it. Or we have someone collect the money and do it later to keep things flowing faster.

Jonathan: That's not the issue. The choice is whether to include them in the first or second round.

Edward & Lisa: We agree.

[Chris Kirshner joins]

Edward: Maybe the tournament announcements can be clearer about doing membership early or showing up early.

Chris: Usually we have a temporary ID we give those players.

Gurujeet: I want people to have good first tournament. I don't think having more rules or penalties would contribute to a good first AGA tournament.

Jonathan: I think that it isn't an issue with players in their first tournament, this is about people who play 2 tournaments a year and don't buy full memberships. They just hold up rating tournaments. Assuming we want ratings to happen quickly.

Lisa: Isn't this more of a TD best practices issue? Can you have someone pull together this, Andy?

Steve: I think that already exists

Jonathan: I think TD best practices has a much bigger scope than this.

Andy: We can add to the best practices or send out a 2 paragraph reminder to people via the EJ.

Martin: Or a checklist for TDs about getting your tournament rated fast.

Chris: TDs should have the discretion and freedom to include or not include people as needed

[cross talk]

[Jonathan leaves]

2. Approve minutes

Chris moves to approve, Steve seconds, unanimous approval of March minutes.

3. President's report

Andy: I've been in Europe, visited Ting Lee in Vienna (Austria), and there are three public places for Go including a electronic table that won an innovation award, a vertical go board installation, and a public thing for AlphaGo that's 9 stones in a public area for seating.

Another thing is that a UC Davis CS professor has a film club, and they screened the AlphaGo documentary and I came and spoke. I think this is something we could do at other CS departments, so if you know anyone or can help me identify who to talk to, I think we could do film events like that and generate interest for go.

I will send you a proposal from Stephanie Yen 1P who wants to grant ranks to students based on their activities [forthcoming in the next few days], which you have tentatively approved but it would represent substantive change and I want to discuss it with you via email for now.

Steve: She just started a new youtube channel, by the way.

Finally, we have reserves and need to talk about investments, and I have two proposals that we should review and I'll send them out via email. I'll look at your feedback via email.

4. Discuss feedback from membership on draft of the Code of Conduct

Some significant changes from previous discussion: We're not going to require attendees at congress to acknowledge the policy this year. That was the issue that caused the most concern from the membership and besides, Congress registration has already started. We can still post and apply the policy at the event, but we won't have a checkbox on the registration.

Chris: Will the policy be in the Congress handbook?

Lisa: We haven't confirmed that yet.

Andy: Another thought, what if we call it an Honor code instead of a "Code of Conduct"

Lisa: I don't think this is an honor code. Honor code is different.

Gurujeet: I agree that honor code isn't an accurate term.

Andy: I'm just thinking in terms of advertising it, since there's some push-back.

Lisa: But I think we're doing a bait and switch if we don't call it "Code of Conduct".

[?]: People are objecting to the CoC, i.e., on message boards.

Chris: I'm not in favor of acknowledging that unofficial commentary. If people want to comment officially, that's okay.

Lisa: But these comments are on a very public Facebook page, and I encouraged them to contact us with their concerns.

Chris: I think people are more concerned that it won't be applied fairly. I think we can assure them it's overseen by the president and board.

Lisa: I also told individuals on the message board that I would ask where their congress fees are going due to some concerns about the expenses, just general percentages. I was planning on going through past years for that information. Should I do that?

Andy: Sure, we're not trying to hide that or anything.

Edward: Go Congress is a lot cheaper for kids than other summer activities.

Gurujeet: Someone did comment on the “What is an AGA Sponsored Event” footnote in the Code of Conduct.

Lisa: I am making a note in the Code of Conduct now that we need to be more specific in our language in the “what is an AGA sponsored event” footnote.

5. Discuss feedback from membership on the draft of revised bylaws

Very little changes were made. We removed the provision for adding more board members at large. We added North Marianas Islands so our bylaws cover all 11 territories. We’ve changed the definition of “majority of those voting” to 67% instead of 60%. Some grammar issues were pointed out. By next meeting you will have a clean copy to look at.

Martin: What about the timing issue of when the board is elected and starts?

Chris: We’ve added language to clarify when the board rolls over and starts the next term and are looking to move the election up. That way we can have additional lead time before Congress for transitioning to the new board.

Lisa: We need to let Arnold Eudell know so he can send out the call for nomination.

6. Discuss which volunteers we would like to invite for May meeting

Chris Garlock should be invited, since he couldn’t join us today.

Charles Alden should be invited, who is the membership database manager. It would be a good counterpoint to our conversation with Jonathan today.

7. Discuss our implementation/compliance of GDPR

Steve: I want to give a shout out to Justin Kramer who developed the membership manager years ago because we’re mostly in compliance with GDPR already. We just need to add a checkbox on our membership registration to indicate where our data is available.

Martin: I think GDPR is more focused on businesses, so since we don’t store any financial information, it’s a lot easier for us to be compliant.

Steve: We’re PCI compliant, but we don’t store anything. I’m going to reach out to verify that our policies are up to date.

Lisa: I don’t think we’re keeping information except in cases where there are sanctions, for the CoC sanctions report, which just has names.

Martin: And GDPR only applies to European members.

Steve: It's more of an issue for Go Congress, since there are new lists every year. But there are specific provisions in GDPR for including data on new membership applications.

Steve: I want to see what the EGA is going to implement as well.

Martin: I don't think they'll be going after small organizations at first anyway.

Gurujeet: I think they would only come to us if someone made a complaint about our practices

Steve: We also have a lot of time to respond appropriately.

8. New business

Lisa: We need to get an AGA budget from Andy before the next board meeting.

[Andy acknowledges]

June meeting scheduled for the 25th.

9. Adjourn

Lisa motions to adjourn, Steve seconds, unanimous, adjourned at 9:21 EDT.